Thank you for your interest in our organization and other services. Your privacy is very important to us and we believe in giving you full disclosure about the kinds of information we gather and what we do with it. We also want to give you a choice about the use of your personal information.
Personally identifiable information
This is information you may have given us specifically about who you or your gift recipients are, such as:
- name, mailing address, email address, user name, password
- demographic information (such as age and education)
- your interests and preferences
- transactional information (such as the history of your purchases or the fact that your name and address was obtained by us on a contest entry)
We may use the information in these ways:
We use your name and address (postal and/or email) in order to deliver the product, information or service you requested and to follow up with you about the transaction (i.e., send a bill, notify you that your subscription is expiring etc). We may also send you further information about the publication, its offers, or other products produced under its name. We use the information you provide us about others to enable us to send them your gifts subscriptions or products.
From time-to-time our magazines or web sites may make their list of customers available to other carefully screened organizations that want to let you know about a product or service that might interest you. The material to be sent to you or your gift recipient is reviewed by us before the names and addresses are released to ensure the company is reputable and their materials are appropriate. If you wish to know what list your name came from, we will make every reasonable effort to determine the source and provide you with the information. If you would prefer for us NOT to share your information, simply inform us (see “Contact Us” below).
Your credit card number, debit card number, or banking information for pre-authorized payments is used only for processing payments and for presenting you with payment options — not for marketing purposes.
This is information that cannot personally identify you, such as:
- System Information. The type of operating system you are using (eg. Windows 98, Mac OS), the domain name of your Internet Service Provider (ISP) (eg. AOL, Sympatico, Rogers Internet) and the type of browser you are using (eg. Netscape, Internet Explorer). Browser information (i.e. the URL of the web page you were just on, the IP address of the computer you are using and your domain type) is automatically recorded as part of transmitting information over the Internet. We may use it to help us display information in the best format for you.
- Cookies. A cookie is a small text file we place in your browser’s files. No one else can read this file. Cookies allow our server to recognize you when you return to our site, so you don’t have to re-register and so we can retain any preferences you may have given us. If you do not wish to receive cookies, most browsers allow you to be alerted when a cookie is sent to your computer, so you can decide whether to accept it.
- Statistical Reports. We may develop summary reports to help us and our advertisers better understand our audience and provide web content and advertisements that are more likely to be of interest to you. For example, we may report total number of visitors to our site in general or to specific pages, average length of visit, etc. No identifying data about individuals would be reported.
- “Clickstream” Data. During your visit to our sites, we may record choices you have made and use this to provide more customized content or advertising. The data does not identify you and is not retained after your visit. This is sometimes called “clickstream” data. If we do market research studies or polls in any area that will only be reported in aggregate, this will be indicated.
Control of Your Information
You always have the option to instruct us not to use your name, address, e-mail address, etc. beyond providing you with the product, information or service you requested. See “Contact Us” below.
E-mail communications will always include an “Unsubscribe” option.
We regularly use the Canadian Marketing Association “do not mail/do not call” service to remove customers from marketing campaigns. To add your name to this list, see “Canadian Marketing Association” below.
We make every reasonable effort to protect against the loss, misuse, and alteration of personal information under our control. Our security policies are periodically reviewed and enhanced as necessary.
Only authorized individuals and suppliers have access to customer information. Where information is sent to a third party for processing, we make sure, through our contracts with them, that all customer information is kept secure. We keep your information for the time we are providing you with a product or service, and for a reasonable time thereafter in the event that you wish to resume service.
We operate secure data networks protected by industry standard firewall and password protection systems. Credit card information is processed using industry-standard encryption and security. We do not collect personal information from bulletin boards or forums. However, we cannot guarantee that personal information voluntarily disclosed on message boards and discussion groups will not be collected and used by others, which may result in unsolicited messages to you from other parties.
You may contact Canadian Geographic Enterprises regarding privacy matters in any one of the following ways:
50 Sussex Drive
Telephone: (613) 745-4629
Fax: (613) 744-0947
Canadian Marketing Association
Call the CMA at 416-391-2362 or visit their website at www.the-cma.org and click on “Consumer Information” for more information on inclusion in their “do not mail/do not call” lists and for comprehensive online information.
Download our Complaints and Related Procedures Policy here.
From time to time, we may update our privacy statement. Please review this policy periodically.
No part of this website may be reproduced in any form without the express written consent of The Royal Canadian Geographical Society.